This cranberry relish recipe is so easy to make, and is a bright, tangy condiment for your Thanksgiving or Christmas table. But don't stop there, it's also a delicious, zesty topping for a breakfast of steel-cut oats or with goat cheese on crackers.
Put the canned stuff aside, because this cranberry relish, with fresh ginger, orange zest and juice, and chopped pecans, comes together in just 20 minutes. Your turkey will thank you for this!
Cranberries: You can use fresh or frozen cranberries for this relish. Buy a few extra bags around the holidays and pop them into the freezer, so you can enjoy cranberry dishes and baked goods all year around.
Ginger: Fresh ginger gives the relish a refreshing zing of flavor and balances perfectly with the tartness of the cranberries and sweetness of the orange.
Orange: The fresh, bright flavor of orange shines through in the relish and is the perfect counterpoint to the tart cranberries.
Pecans: I like pecans for this relish, but you could also use walnuts, almonds, or pistachios, or cashews.
How to make the relish
1. Combine the sugar and ginger in a medium saucepan. Grate the orange peel and add to the pot, then juice the orange and also add it to the pot. Stir to combine. Simmer the mixture over medium heat, stirring often, until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the cranberries and cook, stirring often, until they soften and pop, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pecans. Let cool.
How to store the relish
Keep the relish in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. You can also freeze the relish in a freezer container for up to 3 months. Let it thaw in the refrigerator.
This cranberry relish is very customizable, other ingredients that you can add or substitute include dried fruits such as cherries, raisins, and chopped apricots. Fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme will also work, as well as other nuts.
Besides roast turkey, the cranberry relish will go well with baked ham, roast port or chicken. It can be used as a topping for oatmeal, on crackers with soft goat cheese, and as a sandwich spread with sliced chicken, turkey, or ham,
More cranberry recipes to try
Comments and ratings
If you’ve tried this Cranberry Relish or any other recipes on our site, please leave a comment and rating below. We love hearing from you!
Cranberry Relish with Pecans, Orange and Ginger
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium navel orange
- 1 12 oz. bag fresh or frozen cranberries
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Combine the sugar and ginger in a medium saucepan. Grate the orange peel and add to the pot, then juice the orange and add it the pot. Stir to combine.
- Simmer the mixture over medium heat, stirring often, until sugar has dissolved.
- Add the cranberries and cook, stirring often, until they pop, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan form the heat and stir in the pecans. Let cool.
Be sure to FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST Many thanks!
yum, perfect recipe!
Love this and so easy to make!