These Instant Pot Asian Short Ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender and so delicious, thanks to the sticky sauce. The perfect recipe if you're looking for something delicious to try to make with your Instant Pot.
Not only are these ribs easy to make, but they also cook in a fraction of the time it would take to cook them in a slow cooker on on the stove top—thanks to the pressure cooking instant pot!
Beef short ribs: Short ribs are the meaty ends of the beef ribs from the chest and front shoulders of cattle. This cut is well-marbled meat and its connective tissue softens as it cooks to create a velvety, deeply flavored sauce. The meatiest short ribs with the best ratio of fat and bone come from the chuck. Look for well-marbled, meaty ribs, firmly attached to the bone, and without a huge amount of surface fat.
Gochujang (GO-choojahng): This is a fermented chile and soybean paste from Korea. This spicy, pungent, slightly sweet fermented chile paste is made from gochugaru, ground glutinous rice, fermented soybeans, and salt. Look for it in large well-stocked supermarkets and specialty stores.
How to make the recipe
In a small dish, combine the soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, gochujang (if using), garlic, ginger, tomato paste, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
Season the short ribs all over with salt and pepper.
Turn the Instant Pot's sauté function to high. When hot, add 2 Tbs. of oil. Add about 4 to 5 short ribs to the pot, searing each side for approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Place all of the browned short ribs on a plate. Repeat with any remaining ribs.
Return all the short ribs to the instant pot. Whisk the sauce, then pour it over the ribs. Secure the lid, and set the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure-cook on high for 45 minutes, followed by naturally releasing the steam for 15 to 20 minutes.
Return the short ribs to the instant pot. Whisk the sauce, then pour it over the ribs. Close and lock the lid of the pressure valve. Pressure-cook for 45 minutes at high temperature, followed by a natural release of pressure for 15 to 20 minutes. Then quick release the rest of the steam and open the lid.
Remove the short ribs from the Instant Pot and transfer them to a large bowl. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and remove any fat with a spoon. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and ¼ cup water before whisking in half of it. Simmer until thickened slightly, then add rice vinegar.
Accompany the ribs with scallion and sesame seeds, then serve the sauce on poured over.
Storing the recipe
For about 3-4 days, ribs will keep in a sealed container in the fridge. You may also make a large quantity and freeze it for up to 3 months.
To reheat leftovers: Microwave or bake for 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees F to restore texture.
- You can swap the beef ribs for pork ribs if you prefer this meat and the cooking time will be very similar.
- Make sure you don't overcrowd the ribs in the Instant Pot. If they are too close together, there's the chance they don't cook as evenly.
There's nothing better than meat with a clean taste, so before cooking the ribs, it can be worth preparing them a bit. Soak them in cold water. The water will soon develop a crimson tinge. Many people would call it blood, but it's actually myoglobin, a muscle-protein substance that can be found in the flesh.
Soaking time also allows you to eliminate any remaining bone fragments from the meat. Many cooks will recommend soaking the ribs for a few hours (even overnight!) as it also helps to enhance the flavor.
If you can't find short ribs, you can also us beef chuck with the pieces cut to a similar size as the ribs.
How to cook the short ribs in a slow cooker
The only significant difference between cooking these short ribs in an Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, or the oven is the length of time. Each method will produce you with the same delectably soft end results.
How to cook short ribs in the slow cooker: To make this in the slow cooker, brown the meat in a saucepan and then add it to the slow cooker with the ingredients below. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Pour the rest of the liquid from the slow cooker into a saucepan along with the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then add the beef, and reduce to a simmer.
How to oven-braise the short ribs
How to braise the short ribs in the oven: Brown the ribs in batches in an ovenproof Dutch oven as directed. Pour off the fat from the pan. Return the ribs to the pot and pour over the sauce. Transfer the pot to a 325°F oven and braise the ribs, lifting and turning them about every half hour, until the meat is very tender and starts to fall off the bone when pulled with a fork, 2-½ to 3 hours.
More recipes to try
If you're looking for more Instant Pot recipes, try this Black Bean Soup or this Instant Pot Apple Butter by Feast for a Fraction, and these amazing Air Fryer Short Ribs from Kicking Carbs! In addition to these:
Comments and ratings
If you’ve tried these Asian Short Ribs or any other recipes on our site, please leave a comment and rating below. We love hearing from you!
Instant Pot Asian Short Ribs
- ⅓ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup brown sugarpacked
- 1 Tbs. gochujang fermented chile sauce, optional and more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbs. freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 2 to 3 Tbs. vegetable oil more as needed
- 3 to 4 lb. small beef short ribs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar more to taste
- Sliced scallion greens for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, gochujang, beef broth, brown sugar, if using, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, sesame oil and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Season the short ribs all over with salt and pepper. Turn the Instant Pot sauté setting to high. When hot, pour in 2 Tbs. of the oil. When the oil is hot, add about 4 to 5 short ribs to the pot. Sear on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place the browned short ribs on a plate. Repeat with the remaining short ribs.
- Return all the short ribs to the instant pot. Whisk the sauce, then pour it over the ribs. Secure the lid, and set the pressure valve to seal. Pressure-cook on high for 45 minutes, followed by naturally releasing the steam for 15 to 20 minutes. Release the remaining pressure by adjusting the pressure valve to the venting position. Open the lid.
- Remove the short ribs to a bowl. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and skim off the fat. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and ¼ cup water. Whisk the mixture into the sauce and simmer until thickened slightly. Stir in the rice vinegar.
- Serve the ribs sprinkled with scallions and sesame seeds, and the sauce poured over.
Instant Pot Black Bean Soup