These mini mushroom tarts with lingonberry jam can double as either a fabulous side or appetizer. Purchased puff pastry makes them a cinch to prepare, but the best part is that they can be made ahead and frozen. When you’re ready to serve, just pop them in the oven for 15 minutes, top with the sweet, tart lingonberry sauce and watch them disappear!
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
Grated Parmesan cheese
Lingonberry sauce or jam, preferably Darbo, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a standard-size muffin pan.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic cloves and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, fresh thyme, ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms softened, about 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
3. On a lightly floured surfaced, roll out the puff pastry to a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Using a 3 ½-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Press the rounds into the muffin pan (the pastry will come about halfway up the sides of cups).
4. Spoon about 2 Tbs. of the filling into each prepared tart shells. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. (Tarts can be frozen at this point, airtight, for up to 1 month.)
5. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan. Arrange on serving platter, top each with Lingonberry sauce and a sprig of fresh thyme.
Keywords: mushroom tarts