Tri-Colored Italian Cookies
These fun, tri-colored cookies are also called Neapolitan cookies and are an Italian favorite. This version is really quite easy to make. It's just one sugar cookie dough that's divided into thirds and flavored—almond, hazelnut, and chocolate. They taste great, and are also a colorful addition to any cookie platter.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened (8 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red food coloring preferably natural
- ⅓ cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate melted
- Line a 9-x-5-unch loaf pan with waxed paper, letting the ends extend up the long sides by about 2 inches.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flout mixture to the butter mixture, beating until blended.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions and put each into a small bowl. Mix the red food coloring and almond extract into one until well blended. Spread the dough evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan. Mix the hazlenuts in another portion; spread evenly over the first layer. Mix the melted chocolate into the remaining portion; spread on top. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Loosen the unlined edges of the dough from the pan, then lift the waxed-paper edges to remove the dough. Cut the dough in half lengthwise, then cut each crosswise into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Place the slices about 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake until the edges are firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool.
Serving: 1cookieCalories: 123kcalCarbohydrates: 15.7gProtein: 1.3gFat: 6.3gCholesterol: 18.7mgSodium: 35.8mgSugar: 8.6g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!