There are so many varieties of winter squash, but I’m a big fan of the good ‘ol acorn. Its deep orangy flesh has a wonderful savory-sweet flavor and their small slightly round shape makes them idea for stuffing. This recipe is easier than it may look, and the presentation is so impressive.
2 medium acorn squash
1 Tbs. olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 oz. andouille sausage, cut into small pieces
1 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped red or orange bell pepper
1 medium apple, cored and chopped
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
2 cups cooked quinoa, farro, or rice
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
3 Tbs. Grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
Maple syrup, for serving
- Roast the squash: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half crosswise. Cut a flat spot on the bottom so the squash halves sit flat. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and stringy pulp from the cavities. Place the squash halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Brush the squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, or until just tender when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, make the stuffing. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbs. of the oil over medium heat heat. Add the sausage, and cook stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Remove the sausage to a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, pepper, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the apples, dried cranberries, thyme, sage, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Return the sausage to the skillet and stir in the quinoa and remove the pan from the heat.
- Spoon the filling into the squash halves. In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the top.
- Return the squash to the oven and bake until heated through and the panko mixture is lightly brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Keywords: stuffed acorn squash, acorn squash recipe