There are a lot of different ways to shake up a margarita, but this strawberry margarita has just the right balance of sour tanginess and sweetness and a refreshing taste and color. It’s great made with tequila blanco, but also with mezcal, which gives it a slight smokiness. This recipe makes one drink, but you can make a double batch in one shaker.
- Coarse salt
- Lime wedge
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 3 to 4 oz. strawberry simple syrup (see note)
- 1 ½ to 2 oz. tequila blanco or mezcal
- Small fresh strawberry, for garnish
- Lime slice, for garnish
- To rim the glass: Spread the salt on plate. Run a lime wedge around the rim of a glass. Dip the rim into the salt to coat, turning if necessary. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the lime juice, orange liqueur, strawberry syrup, and tequila. Add a few ice cubes, seal shaker, and shake vigorously.
- Strain the mixture into the rimmed glass. Garnish with lime and strawberries.
To make Strawberry Simple Syrup: Combine 1 pint hulled and halved strawberries, 1 cup water, and ½ cup sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the strawberries start to break down. Pour the mixture through a fine sieve set over medium bowl, pressing on the solids with the back of spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the solids. Let the syrup cool. Try these other refreshing drinks:
Serving: 1gCalories: 268kcalCarbohydrates: 56.9gProtein: 0.1gFat: 0.1gSodium: 2.1mgSugar: 55g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!