Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
Is it a soup? Is it a stew? Should it be made with a roux? Does it have okra? The gumbo debate rages on, but I can tell you this much: This gumbo recipe is a rich, soul-warming broth punctuated by succulent shrimp, juicy chunks of chicken, spicy andouille, and crisp-tender okra. Years ago, my husband and I frequented a local restaurant just to order their gumbo, which was soul-nourishing with amazing flavor. They went out of business long ago and since then I've spent countless hours trying to replicate their dish. According to my husband, my version eclipses theirs. I'm not sure he's being completely honest, but regardless, it's a dish you'll want to cozy up with and savor. Serve with crusty bread.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup plus 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 small bell peppers preferably red and green, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces andouille sausage cut lengthwise and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 8 cups good-quality chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 8 ounces chopped cooked chicken
- 10 ounce package frozen sliced okra thawed and drained
- 8 ounce large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Chopped fresh parsley for serving
- In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan, heat ½ cup of the oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Slowly add the flour, whisking until blended. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking almost constantly, until the roux is a mahogany brown color, about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 Tbs. of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers, and celery and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Stir in the roux until well blended.
- Add the stock, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, red pepper flakes, ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. Add the chicken and okra and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Sprinkle the shrimp with the paprika. Heat 1 Tbs.of the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring often, until no longer translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle the gumbo into serving bowls. Top each a few shrimp and sprinkle with parsley.
Serving: 1bowlCalories: 520kcalCarbohydrates: 21.2gProtein: 25.7gFat: 37.8gCholesterol: 99.6mgSodium: 708.8mgSugar: 6.6g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!