Using an Instant-Pot is the fastest and easiest way to make a tasty black bean soup. I always soak my beans overnight. I know some recipes say it’s not necessary when using an Instant-Pot, but I find that if you don’t, they can still be too hard after cooking.
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped (any color)
1 1/2 Tbs. chipotle chile powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
6 cups good-quality chicken stock
1 lb. black beans, soaked overnight and drained
6 oz. Spanish chorizo, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
Corn tortillas, cut into strips and fried until crisp
Queso fresco or cojita cheese, crumbled
1. In a 6-quart electric pressure cooker, heat the oil over medium-high heat or using the sauté function. Stir in the onion, bell pepper, chile powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften, about 1 minute.
2. Add the stock, beans, chorizo, garlic, and bay leaves.
3. Lock the lid in place. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
4. Allow the pressure to come down naturally, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow the steam to escape.
5. Discard the bay leaves and stir well, and add salt to taste. The soup will thicken on standing. If still too thin, mix 1 Tbs. cornstarch with 2 Tbs. water, add to the soup and stir to thicken.
6. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and add toppings.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 580
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Sodium: 838.3mg
- Fat: 21.9g
- Carbohydrates: 65.1g
- Protein: 32.5g
- Cholesterol: 39.2mg
Keywords: black bean soup, soup, instant pot recipe, instant pot soup, black bean recipe