Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Cherry Sauce
Grilled pork tenderloin is the perfect match for a fruity cherry sauce. This easy sauce capitalizes on peak season cherries that require little to enhance their sweet, juicy flavor, but frozen cherries can also be used. It comes together in just 10 minutes. The pork tenderloin also cooks quickly and the smoky, charred exterior adds so much flavor and texture, making this dish a can't miss for either a weeknight dinner or causal gathering.
- 1 pound pork tenderloin trimmed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. chipotle chile powder
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen cherries pitted and halved
- 3 Tbs. ruby port
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil plus more for garnish
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire.
- Brush the pork with 1 Tbs. of the oil. Mix the thyme, chipotle powder, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper and rub it over the pork. Grill the pork, covered, flipping once or twice, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 145°F., 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer the pork to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 Tbs. of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the cherries and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the port, increase the heat to high, and cook for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in herbs and ¼ tsp. salt.
- Slice the pork and stir any juices into the cherries. Serve the pork with the cherries. Garnish with more basil, if desired.
If you don't have a cherry pitter, try using a skewer or chopstick to remove the pits. Insert the point of the skewer into the stem end and gently work it down and around the pit until it loosens enough to be pried out. Another method to try, unbend a paperclip into an “S” shape. Work one end of the clip down into the stem end of a cherry until you can hook under and pull out the pit.
Serving: 4ozCalories: 262kcalCarbohydrates: 16.8gProtein: 24.9gFat: 9.7gCholesterol: 16.8mgSodium: 71.3mgSugar: 12.4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!