These pistachios and dried cherry biscotti have a crisp, crunchy texture (they are baked twice), yet are chewy and packed with flavor. You can switch up the nuts and dried fruit if you’d like, almonds and apricots or hazelnut and dates would also be tasty combinations. they don’t need to be dipped in chocolate, but it does make them extra-special!
6 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. table salt
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pistachios, more for coating
1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) a large rimmed baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, and baking powder with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs, and then beat in the flour at low speed until blended; the dough will be sticky. Stir in the pistachios and cherries.
3. Divide the dough in half, and transfer both halves to the prepared baking sheet, leaving space between them. Shape each half into a rectangle about 10-1/2 inches long by 2 inches wide by 3/4 inch tall. Straighten the edges, and smooth the tops; a wet spatula works well here.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven. Using a spray bottle filled with room-temperature water, lightly but thoroughly spritz the two pieces of dough all over. This will make slicing the biscotti easier. Carefully transfer the dough to a cutting board. Using a sharp chef’s or serrated knife, cut the biscotti on the diagonal, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch wide. As you’re slicing, be sure to cut straight up and down, perpendicular to the cutting board.
5. Place the biscotti on the same baking sheet, on edge; they can be very close together. Return the biscotti to the oven, and bake for 25 to 27 minutes, until they feel very dry and are beginning to turn golden. Smaller biscotti may be ready to come out of the oven earlier than the larger ones. Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Dip one end of each cooled biscotti in the melted chocolate, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet to set. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios while the chocolate is still soft, if you like.
- Serving Size: 1 biscotti
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 8.8g
- Sodium: 37.3mg
- Fat: 4.7g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 15.4mg
Keywords: biscotti, pistachio biscotti