Spaghetti squash stuffed with an easy homemade bolognese, then topped with mozzarella and baked until hot and oozing with deliciousness is my idea the perfect cozy dinner for a chilly night. The squash can be roasted and stuffed ahead, then just popped into the oven when ready to serve. Don't forget a good bottle of red wine, such as Chianti or Barolo, to serve with it!
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 oz. bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb. ground turkey, dark meat preferred
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 ½ cups homemade or jarred marinara sauce
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400°F. Cut the squashes in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Arrange the squash, cut-side down, in a baking dish, and add about an inch of water. Roast until completely tender soft when pierced with a fork, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven until cool enough to handle.
2. Meanwhile, make the bolognese sauce. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the turkey and 1 tsp. salt and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the marinara sauce. Season with ½ tsp. black pepper and the oregano. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Adjust the seasonings if necessary.
3. Use a fork to shred the inside of the each squash, leaving about a half-inch of squash left in the shell. Mix the shredded squash into the bolognese sauce.
4. Wipe out the pan and arrange the squash shells cut side up. Spoon the bolognese into each shell. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the tops and bake until the cheese is bubbly and browned in spots, 15 to 20 minutes more. (Run it under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes if you'd like more browned tops.) Sprinkle parsley over the tops and serve hot.
Keywords: stuffed spaghetti squash, bolognese-stuffed spaghetti squash