Penne ala Vodka
Vodka sauce is hands down one of the best homemade pasta sauces in my book. Just simple ingredients (tomato, cream, and vodka) that magically and deliciously come together. This easy version was whipped up by my daughter, Emma Kingsley, and it's fabulous! Watch how to make it step-by-step here.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more to taste
- 6 ounces can double-concentrated tomato paste
- 14 ½ ounces can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces vodka
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound penne or rigatoni
- Grated parmesan cheese for serving
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil.
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until onion is softened.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. Stir in the whole tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, then cook, stirring often and crushing the whole tomatoes roughly with a spoon, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup cream. Transfer sauce to a blender, and blend until very smooth (or use an immersion blender). Return the sauce to the pot and stir in the vodka and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and stir well. Cook until al dente, according to package directions. Drain well and serve with the sauce and grated Parmesan.
Serving: 1gCalories: 796kcalCarbohydrates: 99.8gProtein: 19.8gFat: 32.6gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 417.4mgSugar: 12.4g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!