Garlicky Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
This hearty and rustic weeknight-friendly orecchiette pasta dish uses one-skillet and one-pot and plenty of broccoli rabe, sausage, garlic, and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. I like to blanch the broccoli rabe before using it to slightly tame its assertive flavor. It's the perfect quick and easy pasta dish to enjoy on a chilly night.
- 1 pound broccoli rabe trimmed and chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil plus more if needed
- 8 ounces sweet or hot sausages casing removed
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes plus more to taste
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- ½ cup Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Blanch the broccoli rabe in the boiling water just until crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the greens to a colander and set aside. Return the water to a boil.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minute. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water, stir well, and cook according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water, and then drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Add the broccoli rabe, sausage mixture, ½ cup of the reserved cooking water, and the Parmigiano-Reggiano, to the pasta and toss well to mix. Add enough of the reserved pasta water and additional olive oil to achieve desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper and serve with extra Parmigiano-Reggino on the side.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 792kcalCarbohydrates: 91.7gProtein: 30.3gFat: 34.1gCholesterol: 53.9mgSodium: 685.4mgSugar: 3.5g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!