These decadent tarts are easier to make than they may look! The filling is just two ingredients—dark chocolate and coconut milk—and the pastry crust is a cinch to make in a food processor. The truffle-like filling will elicit rave reviews from all chocolate lovers. This is the time to splurge on high-quality chocolate, as you will taste in the final result. Don't be tempted to use chocolate chips, as they have added stabilizers that will make it difficult to achieve a smooth, shiny ganache.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup confectioners' sugar
¼ tsp. salt
9 Tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg
6 oz. good-quality dark (60%) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
¾ cup canned coconut milk, well stirred
Cocoa powder, for dusting
Toasted shredded coconut, for garnish
1. Make the pastry. Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse to blend. Add the butter and pulse to fine crumbs. Add the egg and process until dough comes together in a ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead briefly, and then press into a disc. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
2. Remove the dough form the refrigerator and cut it into six equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll the each piece into a circle 2 inches larger than the size of the tart pans. Press the dough into each tart pan. Fold in the dough overhang so you have a double thickness on the sides and then trim the tops even with the pan. Place the tart shells on a baking pan and freeze for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the tart shells until lightly golden, about 35 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely.
4. Make the filling. Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan until just simmering. Pour the milk over the chocolate and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes to soften the chocolate. Stir the chocolate until melted and smooth. Let stand 10 minutes.
5. Pour or spoon the chocolate ganache into the cooled tart shells. Let stand 30 minutes. Dust with cocoa powder and garnish with shredded coconut, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 tart
- Calories: 565
- Sugar: 22.1g
- Sodium: 129.2mg
- Fat: 37.1g
- Carbohydrates: 53.3g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 78.5mg