What’s not to love about a pumpkin cake swirled with cream cheese that’s super easy to make? And when you bake it in a cast iron skillet, which I like to do, it’s homey, casual appeal makes you want to eat it anytime of day—I love a slice for breakfast! The cake also keeps really well (up to 5 days), and says bring on the chilly weather.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
For the Cream Cheese Swirl
8 oz. cream cheese, softened, softened
5 Tbs. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg yolk
1. Position the oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch cast iron skillet or 8-inch square or round baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. In another medium bowl, mix the oil, both sugars. egg and pumpkin until well blended. Add the flour mixture and mix just until blended.
3. Make the cream cheese swirl: In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium speed about 30 seconds, until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar, vanilla and egg yolk and beat until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula when necessary.
4. Add a thick layer of the pumpkin mixture to the bottom of the greased pan, spreading the batter evenly. Then drop alternating scoops of the cream cheese and pumpkin batters in the pan to make one layer. Create another layer if necessary, by alternating the pumpkin batter over the cream cheese. Wiggle the pan gently to help level out the top. Pull a knife tip through the batters to swirl.
5. Bake until center of the pumpkin batter (not cream cheese mixture) springs back when touched, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan, then cut into wedges to serve.
If you have pumpkin pie spice mix, use 1 tsp. of it along with 1 tsp. cinnamon in place of the spices in the recipe.
Store the cake wrapped tightly at room temperature up to one day, then refrigerate for up to 5 days. If refrigerated, bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: easy pumpkin cream cheese cake