This citrusy herb salt will take your cooking to the next level, or package it up and gift to all your food-loving friends. Choose this or one the variations below, including Fruity Red Wine or Lime Sriracha. These flavored salts are so simple to make and easy on the budget, yet all deliver a big wow factor! Don't you wish all gifts were like that!
- ½ cup fresh herbs such as a mix of sage, rosemary, and thyme
- Zest from 2 medium oranges avoid the white pith
- Zest from 2 medium lemons avoid the white pith
- 2 cups kosher salt
- Add the herbs, orange and lemon zest, and ½ cup salt to food processor bowl and process until finely ground. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining salt.
- Spread the mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet and let stand at room temperature for 8 hours to overnight, or until the mixture is dry.
- Spoon the salt into airtight containers and label for gifts, or keep for yourself.
- Fruity Wine Salt: Bring 2 cups of a fruity red wine to a boil in a medium saucepan, reduce heat and simmer until you have 1 Tbs. syrup. about 15 minutes. Let cool, then stir in 1 ½ cups kosher salt. Spread it on a parchment-lined baking sheet and let stand for 1 to 2 days, or until dry. Makes about 1 ½ cups.
- Lime Sriracha Salt: In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup kosher salt, 3 Tbs. Sriracha sauce, and 1 Tbs. grated lime zest. Stir quickly until well blended, then spread out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 days, or until the mixture is dry. Makes about 1 cup.
Salt will keep for up to two months at room temperature or 4 months in the refrigerator.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!