Double-Chocolate Streusel Muffins
Everything about eating one of these double-chocolate muffins with a crunchy streusel topping says it's going to be a great day! They deliver a good dose of chocolate without being overly sweet. Buttermilk makes them super tender and adds a little tang, and the nutty streusel gives them a nice crunch. One thing is for sure; they are not cupcakes and definitely fall into the good-for-breakfast category!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted (3 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped nuts such as walnuts
- 1 ½ Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 8 jumbo or 12 standard muffin pan cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk to blend.
- In a medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about ¾ full.
- Make the streusel: In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar and nuts. Add the butter and mix with a fork or your fingers until crumbly. Spoon about 1 Tbs. of the streusel over each muffin, patting gently.
- Bake the muffins until set, about 30 to 35 minutes for jumbo, 20 to 25 for standard. Remove to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes, before removing to the rack to cool completely.
Serving: 1muffinCalories: 573kcalCarbohydrates: 69.6gProtein: 10.3gFat: 30.4gCholesterol: 81.9mgSodium: 299.2mgSugar: 32.5g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!