Everything about eating one of these double-chocolate muffins with a crunchy streusel topping says it’s going to be a great day! They deliver a good dose of chocolate without being overly sweet. Buttermilk makes them super tender and adds a little tang, and the nutty streusel gives them a nice crunch. One thing is for sure; they are not cupcakes and definitely fall into the good-for-breakfast category!
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
6 Tbs. (3 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbs. brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts
1 1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 8 jumbo or 12 standard muffin pan cups with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk to blend.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
5. Make the streusel: In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar and nuts. Add the butter and mix with a fork or your fingers until crumbly. Spoon about 1 Tbs. of the streusel over each muffin, patting gently.
6. Bake the muffins until set, about 30 to 35 minutes for jumbo, 20 to 25 for standard. Remove to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes, before removing to the rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 573
- Sugar: 32.5g
- Sodium: 299.2mg
- Fat: 30.4g
- Carbohydrates: 69.6g
- Protein: 10.3g
- Cholesterol: 81.9mg
Keywords: chocolate muffins, chocolate muffin recipe, double-chocolate muffins