Back in the day I owned and ran a bakery called Great Cakes and this blueberry cheese crumb cake recipe was always a favorite with our customers. Each element–fruit, cheese, cake, and crumbly topping–adds texture and a distinct flavor. I also like to make this cake with raspberries, fresh cherries, or blackberries.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
8 Tbs. (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 large eggs
1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 pint (2 cups) fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
2. Make the topping: In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, 2 knives, or your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
3. Make the cheese filling: In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and eggs until creamy. Beat in the egg, sugar, lemon juice and flour until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside.
4. Make the cake: In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and light. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk and beat until smooth and fluffy.
5. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. building the sides up slightly. Sprinkle the surface with 1 cup of blueberries. Spread the cheese filling over the blueberries, then scatter the remaining 1 cup of blueberries over the surface. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top and press gently into the blueberries and cheese mixture.
6. Bake until the top is golden and the cake pulls away form the sides of the pan slightly, 60 to 70 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 30 minutes before removing the sides and serving
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 35.4g
- Sodium: 171.8mg
- Fat: 28.8g
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Protein: 8.4g
- Cholesterol: 147.1mg