This pound cake-style coffee cake is packed with tart, juicy berries, which team up perfectly with fresh lemon and crunchy cornmeal. I like to eat a slice for breakfast, toasted with a slather of butter. The coffee cake will keep for several days.
1 cup plus 6 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 cup (6 Tbs.) unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/2 cup plain yogurt, not Greek-style
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 cup fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
Cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and light. Beat in the lemon zest, and then the eggs one at a time, and beating well after each addition.
4. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and lemon juice.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to low, alternately beat in the flour and yogurt mixtures, stopping to scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula when necessary, and beating just until mixed. Fold in the blueberries.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 22.1g
- Sodium: 93.3mg
- Fat: 18.4g
- Carbohydrates: 46.5g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 48.1mg
Keywords: lemon, blueberry, cornmeal, loaf, cake, blueberry cake, lemon blueberry, breakfast, brunch, dessert