Homemade Mango Jam with Ginger is as easy as it is delicious. Fresh mangoes, lime juice, sugar, and ginger juice are all you need for this amazing spread. No artificial pectin needed! Tropical, sweet, and fruity, this jam is perfect for spreading on toasts or biscuits, add a dollop to morning yogurt or on top of a bowl of ice cream. Use it to add a sweet element to baked chicken or other savory dishes!
How To Cut A Mango
Mangoes are notorious for being a bit difficult to slice up because of their hard core. To safely and easily cut a mango, make sure the stem is on top then make a vertical cut on each side about ¼ inch away from the center. Cut the flesh of each half of the mango slices in a gridlike pattern and use a spoon to scoop out the diced cubes.
Do I Have To Use Pectin When Making Jam?
When it comes to some fruit jams, pectin can be a necessary ingredient. Pectin is a starch that is generally used as a thickening agent in cooking and baking. It is naturally occurring in fruits and vegetables but some have higher levels than others. When it comes to mangoes, the natural sugars in the fruit work well with the lower levels of pectin overriding the need to add more. In other words, you won’t need to add artificial pectin when making mango jam. This recipe is truly an easy one!
How Can I Make Ginger Juice?
To make your own ginger juice: Peel and chop a 1-inch piece of ginger. Place it in a garlic press and press firmly to extract the juice. Alternatively, you can set a small, fine strainer in a small bowl. Peel and finely grate a 1-inch piece of ginger. Place the ginger in the strainer and press on it with a spoon to extract the juice if you don’t own a garlic press.
What You Need To Make Homemade Mango Jam With Ginger
- Chopped, Ripe, Fresh Mango
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Fresh Ginger Juice (optional
How To Make The Recipe
Combine the chopped mango, sugar, fresh lime juice, and fresh ginger juice (if using) in a medium saucepan.
Cook this mixture over medium heat, stirring and mashing the mango with a fork, until the mixture has thickened to your desired consistency.
Remove the pan from heat and let the jam cool. Place the jam in a jar or sealable container. Spread it on your favorite bread, use it in pastries, or even use it to top pork chops or chicken. Enjoy.
Easy Homemade Mango Jam with Ginger
- 3 cups chopped ripe fresh mango
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp. fresh ginger juice (see note below), optional
- Combine the mango, sugar, lime juice and ginger juice in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring and mashing the mango with a fork, until the mixture has thicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Storing The Recipe
Store the mango jam in an airtight container, like a mason jar, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- For a spicy variation, add diced jalapenos or chilis to the mixture. Cook along with the mango puree.
- You’ll want to cut the mango chunks smaller than you may think you need. Unlike some fruits, mango doesn’t break down much in the cooking process.
- Try to choose mangoes that aren’t stringy or remove excess strings before cooking. You’ll also want mangoes that are ripe but not overly ripe.
- For a thinner consistency you can add water to the mixture.
- This jam is great for bread and baked goods, add it to yogurt or ice cream, or even top a savory dish like baked chicken or pork chops.
I swirled the jam into vanilla yogurt and topped with toasted coconut and it was delicious! Thanks1