Easy Chicken Milanese
This easy chicken Milanese recipe is a perfect example of quick, simple, delicious elegance. Crispy, juicy breaded chicken cutlets topped with greens that are lightly coated with a vinaigrette, it's a classic Italian dish that hails from the city of Milan. Look for thin-cut chicken cut breasts at the market, as they really streamline the prep, making this a dish that's ready in just 30 minutes!
- 2 large eggs1 Tbs. milk1 cup plain dry breadcrumbs⅓ cup grated parmesan, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano⅓ cup all-purpose flour4 thin-cut boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets (about 12 oz.)Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper¼ tsp. garlic powder6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil1 Tbs. red wine or sherry vinegar¼ tsp. Dijon mustard4 to 6 cups mixed greens, such as baby arugula, baby spinach, and pea shoots½ small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. milk
- 1 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 4 thin-cut boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets (about 12 oz.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. red wine or sherry vinegar
- ¼ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 4 to 6 cups mixed greens, such as baby arugula, baby spinach, and pea shoots1
- ½ small red onion, very thinly sliced
Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Beat the eggs with the milk in a wide shallow dish. Combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan in a second dish, and put the flour in a third. Add the garlic powder to the flour and toss to mix. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
First dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, shaking off the excess. Next, coat with the egg wash, and then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, patting lightly. Transfer to a plate.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 Tbs. of the olive oil, the vinegar, and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Heat 3 Tbs. of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add two cutlets and cook, flipping once, until golden and crisp on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the baking sheet. Add the remaining 2 Tbs. oil to the skillet, and repeat with the remaining two cutlets.
Add the greens to the bowl with the dressing and toss to coat. Place cutlets on individual serving plates. Top each with mixed greens and more grated parmesan.
- Don’t over crowd the pan, or the cutlets will end up steaming instead of frying. I usually cook 2 at a time, but if you have a small pan, you may only be able to cook one at a time.
- Let the breaded cutlets sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before cooking, this will help the breading coating adhere to the chicken.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 15.5g | Protein: 13.5g | Fat: 25.6g | Cholesterol: 72.1mg | Sodium: 262.7mg | Sugar: 1.8g