This recipe for Stuffed Eggplant Parmesan is much simpler and faster to make than the traditional baked version, delivering the same soul-satisfying flavor and texture in a fraction of the time. I love baked eggplant parmesan, but to be honest, making it from scratch is pretty involved—homemade marinara, salting and frying the eggplant slices, making the layers. It's all good if you have some time on your hands, but when you don't yet still crave all those delicious flavors, this stuffed version is just the ticket!
2 medium eggplants (about 2 1/2 lb. total)
4 Tbs. olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups marinara sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella (about 6 oz.)
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 oz.)
1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves, plus more for topping
3 Tbs. toasted pine nuts (optional)
1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Using a paring knife, cut around the insides of each half leaving a 1/4-inch thick border. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Coarsely chop the flesh and set aside.
3. Brush the insides of the eggplant shells with 1 Tbs. of the oil and season with each with salt and pepper. Place the shells cut-side up on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbs. of oil in a large skillet over medium until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the chopped eggplant, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the eggplant is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the marinara and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 cup of the mozzarella, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, the basil and pine nuts. In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, remaining 2 Tbs. grated Parmesan, and remaining 1 Tbs. oil; set aside.
5. Pour the remaining cup of marinara sauce into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, spreading it evenly. Transfer the eggplant shells to the baking dish. Spoon the filling into the shells, top with the remaining mozzarella, and then the breadcrumb mixture. Broil, 8 to 10 inches from the heat source, until the cheese is bubbling, breadcrumbs are browned, and the filling is heated through, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve warm, spooning the marinara over the eggplant. Garnish with basil.
Keywords: stuffed eggplant parmesan