Galettes, mini berry galettes included, are so much easier to make than a pie, but every bit as scrumptious and satisfying. If your unfamiliar, galettes are kind of an open-face, free-form pie, and the more rustic they are, the better they look. They’re perfect to showcase the sweet, juicy fresh berries of summer, and these are even better when topped with ice cream or whipped cream!
Pie pastry dough for one pie, store-bought or homemade
2 1/2 cups mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries and raspberries
1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 Tbs. cornstarch
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs. orange liqueur
Egg wash: 1 egg whisked with 1 Tbs. water
Ice cream or whipped cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. On a lightly floured surface, unroll the store-bought dough and roll it out slightly with a rolling pin, or roll out the homemade dough to a 13-inch round. Using a 6-inch round pastry cutter (or trace a knife around a 6-inch bowl) cut out four rounds. Re-roll the scraps and cut 1 more if possible. Place the pastry rounds on the prepared baking sheets.
3. Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add the fruit, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange liqueur, and salt, and stir gently to coat. Scoop about 1/2 cup of the fruit filling into the center of each dough round. Fold the dough over the filling to form a series of pleats to make a package about 4 inches across.
4. Make the egg wash by beating together the egg and water. Brush the edges of each galette with the egg wash and sprinkle the crust with a little sugar.
5. Bake until the crust is golden and filling is bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow pies to sit on the pan for 5 minutes. Serve the galettes warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 galette
- Calories: 405
- Sugar: 23.5g
- Sodium: 835mg
- Fat: 16.1g
- Carbohydrates: 61.2g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 46.5mg
Keywords: mini fruit galettes